Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Vicarious Druid

Vicarious? My that's such a big word for you Bacon. Yeah, yeah I know. But as I was listening to the song Vicarious by Tool and I was wondering, "what in the hell does that word exactly mean?" I mean I'm not surrounded by alot of people who use it. Most of the people I deal with on a daily basis develop software and ignore all other biological forms near them. I do hear other terms (or homonyms for you grammar geeks) similar in sound used like precarious from the rare conversation with the administrative assistant, but I've never really heard common usage for vicarious. So off to Google I go.

Vicarious is an adjective that describes "taking the place of another person or thing; acting or serving as a substitute."

Oh wow! That sounds just like a druid in the game. Granted most of my time playing a druid has been as a healer, but there are a few times this last year I have taken on the role of tank and ranged DPS. It's been a fun time and there are times like last night when our guild leader asked me before the raid if I was interested in tanking.

Hell ya I'm interested, but I had a few things working against me (unfortunately our DK tank had his ISP working against him). To begin with I had just got back home from a trip up to Green Bay, Wisconsin where me and the family had a great time. Unfortunately, I was beat. I drove all day Monday to get home at 1:30 am Tuesday morning. Of course things don't stop the minute you pull into the garage. No siree, you still have to unload the car and clean out the trash. So it was around 2 am that I finally went to bed. Problems with my house is that the kid wakes up at 6 am and is ready to get everyone going.

Secondly, I caught the beginnings of what feels like a head cold which ended up being a crushing headache and sinus pain.

So with me being tired and not feeling too hot, I declined on tanking. I don't want the raid to suffer through some mistake that I made due to not being a 100%. Which really sucks, because I want this and here was the prime opportunity. Oh well, there'll be future opportunities.

We attempted heroic Marrowgar a few times and Lady Deathwhisper twice. We pushed on through heroic Gunship and that was really nothing special. By this time, I was feeling real crappy and I prayed that we could push on through Saurfang with no heroic attempts. Unfortunately that wasn't case and he proceeded to show us why heroic mode is hard. By then it was 11am and this Vicarious Druid had to call it a night. I just hope they found another healer to continue on.

No comments:

Post a Comment